4 steps to a diy photo mat
The art on our walls makes a huge impact on the look and feel of the room. It can feel calm and soother, modern, or just plain old dated! It’s so easy to switch things up, but framing can be expensive–so work with what you have and try this trick for making your own photo mat!
Sometimes it’s the smallest items that hold the most value to us. An old photo of loved ones passed or little hand drawn pieces of art from your kids. Why not show off how important they are to you by making them the statement piece? Frame them up in a giant frame, add some drama! It’s a bit more unexpected and certainly draws people in to see what the tiny treasure is in such a big frame!
Here’s what you’ll need:
- Picture frame (that is larger than your photo/art) (Very similar frame)
- Scissors (my favorite scissors of ALL time)
- Adhesive* (Painters’ Tape, Spray Adhesive, Rubber Cement OR Scotch Tape) (here’s the tape I used)
- Snack/Cereal Box
*If you’re working with an original piece like this, be careful with what you select to attach it to your box.
In this house, we take our Cheez-Its very seriously. This was a giant two-bag box from Costco. (this reminds me I need to go back to Costco this weekend….)
- Start by confirming that your snack box is large enough to fit your frame without gaps. Then cut out one flat side of the box by removing all the corners and folds.
- Apply your choice of adhesive to the back of your art.
- Center the piece on your new ‘mat’ and press it firmly into place.
- Flip your ‘mat’ with art attached over and center it on the back of the frame’s existing photo mat.
- Secure in place with painter’s tape (so it can be easily removed without damaging your frame)
- Replace the backing of your frame and hang!
A bit of a different post for me–but I had to share this tip! I love how the inside of the box looks like Kraft paper and adds some great texture to the black and white art. No one will ever know that on the other side is a big ol’ CHEESE-IT box (ha!) Well…. my friends will know now… but that’s okay. It’s all for the cause!
Hope your week is off to a great start, thanks so much for stopping by!